Thursday, February 8, 2007

Down with the Sickness!

Okay, so I'm not intending to copy off the name of a song and album title from the metal band Disturbed (which I used to like, but isn't really my thing anymore), but I figured that those four words carry the best description of my feelings right now.

I am sick. Sick as a dog. Better yet, I've been to the doctor and we pretty much only know that it is NOT pneumonia (small comfort, eh?). I'm feverish off and on, feeling weak and aching all the time, and I have a runny nose. That's leaving out my principal complaint--the coughing. Not a light, delicate little ladylike cough. I mean, a deep, chest-congestion, holy-crap-I'm-hacking-my-lungs-out cough. I can't take a deep breath or try to laugh without sounding like my trachea and lungs are trying to force themselves out of my mouth. Did I mention that it's distinctly unpleasant? (Understatement of the century...)

So now I'm on amoxicillin...not that it'll help much, but whatever. Maybe, psychosomatically, my illness will go, "Oh no! An antibiotic! Not that! Eeeuuuuuuuurgh!" And shrivel up and die. Which is exactly what it needs to do. There is no reason I should feel this crappy during a month as busy as this one. I hate it when my body betrays me, right when I'm depending on it to be in its usual state.

I decided to take this small break from being ill to put down a few thoughts about our bodies and minds. Has anyone else ever felt that their body was too confining, too limiting, and that there's some essential energy within that just wants to break free and be immaterial? I feel like my body is grossly inadequate for everything my internal spirit wants to do, like fly. At the same time, many people say that the brain is the key for everything, and I recognize that, but is the brain nothing more than a manifestation of the mind in reality? I strongly believe that the mind is an immaterial thing, that happens to inhabit a body while on the material plane. Still, I can't help but wonder if we honestly need the brain to have a mind--and what ramifications this has for what happens after death? We're so limited to what we can perceive through our senses and our brains...there ought to be more.

To conclude, I like my mind. A lot. But I hate my body, because it never cooperates. Blargh! Please, pray with me that I'll get better...this is very painful and unpleasant, and I'm doing everything I can to make it go away (because I have better things to do with my time than be sick!). Don't feel like you have to pray, though...it's just an impassioned request. Anyway, I hope you, whoever you are, are well. I don't wish this illness on anyone.

No comments: