Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Per aspera ad astra

I'm experimenting with a different font. For the sake of it. Better to change something small and be able to deal with it than lose control of a big change, right?

I've been ignoring my blog for a little too long, mostly thanks due to the swamp of schoolwork that has accompanied the...I believe it's 6? absences that I have accrued in going to different colleges in order to interview for large amounts of scholarship money. I enjoyed several of the trips (four different colleges extended invitations), but I wish there was less work to make up! *sigh* The curse of being a second semester senior...anything more than a minimal amount seems overwhelming. Can't wait to see how shocked I'll be once I get to college.

**********************************

Once in a while, we all come across something that really resounds with us, no matter how obscure or incomprehensible, simple or mundane. It might be a book, a work of art, a musical symphony, or a scholarly article. Maybe it's just the view from a mountainside or a glance passed in the street. Something calls to a higher consciousness and makes us want to expand past the walls of our minds (excuse me while I make the abstract a little oversimplified). I came across a reference in a scholarly article our AP Literature class had to read as part of our unit studying Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

The article is by Professer Severyn T. Bruyn, and is called "Art and Aesthetics in Action." I believe it can be found online at http://www2.bc.edu/~bruyn/Theoretical.html

I was particularly touched by a quote he uses from Gopi Krishna, founder of the Research Institute for Kundalini at Nishat in Kashmir. It reads:

"Suddenly, with a roar like that of a waterfall, I felt a stream of liquid gold entering my brain through the spinal cord. The illumination grew brighter and brighter, the roaring louder...I [became] a vast circle of consciousness in which the body was but a point, bathed in light and in a state of exaltation and happiness impossible to describe."

I have felt this. This resounds with me. Anyone?

It makes me want to follow the title I used--Through adversity, to the stars.

No comments: